Thursday, March 15, 2012

The gift of milk!

  Its pretty obvious by now I have been a little obsessed with my journey with breastfeeding.  It hasn't been a very pleasant ride, and once I made the decision to stop the insanity and just give it up, I have felt better emotionally.  I am still sad that I can't be the one to nourish my child like God intended, but I am comforted by the fact that I did quite seriously try everything to help it work for us.  I have also been immensely comforted by my friends and family who have shared their stories of trials and triumphs with breastfeeding.  Its lovely when women can breastfeed successfully, and its also nice to hear the stories of other's struggles and feel not so alone.  If you were one of those people who shared, cared and encouraged, thank you. 

  The best part about stopping breastfeeding has been a huge reduction in my stress level.  I have still been a little misty-eyed about the situation, but merely accepting the situation for what it is has really been a big stress relief.  Add to that, Carl has been able to be even more hands on and share the feedings with me, which is nice in the middle of the night.  We also were blessed with quite a few sample cans of formula from the doctors office, so we haven't had any costs there yet.  Even better has been the gift of an amazing best friend.   I am lucky to have lots of good friends in my life, and four people I would list as my best friend.  One of these people has given us a great gift.  She has been blessed with an abundance of breast milk for her 9 month old son Jude.  She came to our house last night with three bags full of frozen breast milk and jokingly called herself the breast milk fairy.  Breane Breidert has been my best friend since the day we met in October of 2000.  She is such a special person to me, and I don't know if I will ever be able to repay her for this great gift!  I am so grateful that she has been willing to share with Avery the best nutrients nature makes!!  We are so lucky!  Thank you Aunt Breane, from the bottom of my heart!! 

1 comment:

  1. Bon-I love you so much and because of you I have been blessed with my wonderful husband and son! If it were not for our friendship I would have not have my family, so while others might think it's weird or even gross, being able to provide Avery with one of mother natures most precious gifts is a small token of my appreciation of you, your family, and your friendship.

    I know how important it was for me to be able to breastfeed Jude, so to be able to contribute to Avery's nutrition and growth will be something I will cherish forever.

    It's crazy to think how far we have come in 12 years. From shaking the test and being stepped on as dead campers at Ft. Boonesboro on Halloween to raising our families together! So to wrap up the sappiness..........I love you, Carl and the girls and if there is ever anything I can do............I got you man! :)

    ReplyDelete